We understand it as much as you do: things get messy in the world of healthcare and performing hand hygiene only goes so far. Whether it’s a busy day in the operating room, or a germ-filled floor full of contaminated surfaces in a healthcare facility, Sloan wants to help you stay as safe as possible.
The PPE we created is half the battle. The other half is making sure it’s put on correctly, and removed just as expertly. That’s why we put together this helpful visual guide to make sure everyone is on the same page with PPE safety—just one way we can prevent harmful cross- contamination in your workplace.
Let’s dive in with this helpful infographic on donning and doffing PPE.
PUTTING ON A GOWN:
1. Place arms in the armholes.
2. Check you are covered from neck to knees, arms to wrist, front to back.
3. Wrap ties around the back; fasten.
PUTTING ON A MASK:
1. Place over your nose and mouth. Make sure it feels snug to face.
2. Secure ties or elastic bands at middle of head and neck, or around ears (depending on model).
3. Adjust flexible band on nose bridge.
PUTTING ON GOGGLES OR FACE SHIELD:
1. Place eye protection over your eyes.
2. Adjust to fit.
PUTTING ON GLOVES:
1. Place fingers into holes, ensure snug fit.
2. Extend each glove to cover the wrist of the isolation gown.
Note: The outside of gloves are contaminated, so if your bare hand touches this part during glove removal, immediately wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to stop the spread of germs.
1. Using a gloved hand, grasp the palm area of the other gloved hand and peel off first glove.
2. Hold removed glove in gloved hand.
3. Put your ungloved fingers under remaining glove at the wrist and peel second glove off, so it goes over first glove.
4. Throw away used glove pile in proper bin.
As with any PPE, after removal, remember to thoroughly wash your hands.
REMOVING GOGGLES OR FACE SHIELD:
Note: The outside of goggles are contaminated. If your bare hands touch this part during eye protection removal, immediately wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
1. Remove goggles or face shield from the back by lifting headband or earpieces.
2. If the item is reusable, place in designated receptacle for reprocessing. Otherwise, throw away.
NOTE: Gown front and sleeves are contaminated, so if your bare hands touch these parts during gown removal, immediately wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to stop the spread of germs.
1. Untie gown.
2. Pull it away from you, touching the inside only.
3. Turn gown inside out, bundle it, and throw it away.
Note: The front of your mask is contaminated. If your bare hands touch it while taking it off, immediately wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
1. Grab the bottom ties or elastics of the mask, then the ones at the top, and remove without touching the front.
2. Throw away.